7.30.2011

On Finishing Strong

How does one finish something strongly?
I find myself asking this aloud as I sit exhausted, stressed, and yet oddly excited with the bulk of the summer behind me. I got paid for my work this summer today, from my college's end I guess my work here is done. I know, of course, that that is not the case, however, and so I wonder what it will take for me to finish my work well.
This summer, like nearly every other endeavor I've undertaken in recent history, has thoroughly burned me out. I've certainly had worse burn outs, but I recognize the familiar feeling of exhaustion and frustration with a hint of despair. As I stare into the black box that is my last few weeks here in Colorado, I wonder if I should take on all the tasks which seem to be falling on me and burn myself out some more. That would certainly be one way to "finish strong," I think: to finish all the tasks one has committed oneself to in any way and to do them thoroughly. In the end I'll get to go home for three weeks rest, which I feel is certainly sufficient to repair any damage I can do to myself now. Won't other people appreciate my ambition and efforts to finish well?
At this point I'm reminded of a quirky talk I heard a few months ago about keeping oneself in the midst of responsibilities. I think there is something there, since if I continue down this rabbit hole of diligence I could very well end up compromising my ability to do anything well. And so I must take rest as I need it (although burn-out is characterized by a constant need for rest: no matter how much one takes Sabbath, more is required just around the corner). Having had some rest two days ago, I feel I must rest again tomorrow, but at the same time three different projects are calling my name--all of which I have made commitments to.
How can I finish strongly? First, I must be realistic about the expectations and commitments I make and continue. I cannot, probably, do all of them, and I certainly cannot do all of them well. This means I will have some hard decisions and conversations to make, but I am a limited human being so I must face them. Second, I must resist the temptation to rest continually. While I must listen to my need for solace, I must also realize that taking periodic breaks is enough to sustain me for two more weeks until I can take all the rest that I need. My goal must be sustainance of my current level of burn-out. Third, I must take the distance from my projects that I need to realize why I undertook them in the first place. A reminder of my passion in these areas is key to my finishing them well. Finally, I need prayer, which unfortunately is not a habit at the moment and so once again diligence is required. In this instance, though, I believe the harder I work the more refreshed I will be. And so I will lean on God and muster up the strength I have to do what I can, and no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment